Hi, guys! Happy Tuesday! So February is one of my favorite months because it’s just such a LOVE month. Not only is there Valentine’s Day, but it’s also the month that Nick and I started dating AND got engaged (he would want me to tell you that it wasn’t all on the same day). Anyway, for those of you that don’t know, Nick and I actually met online! I know, crazy, right? I still can’t believe it. We always get a million questions after someone finds out. I’m pretty sure it’s because we are normal adults (kinda) and we found love on the internet. Online dating seems to have a negative stigma sometimes and it can be overwhelming, frustrating, but also very rewarding! It’s not for everyone but it is for you if you want a different way to meet people. It’s 2017 and we use technology for just about everything else, why not this? An algorithm gave Nick and I a 97% match. Mind. Blown. And my biggest reason you should try it is simple… What if it works!!!
Here are my 6 tips for a successful online dating experience:
- The username
- You finally talked yourself into this and now you have to think of a username? Eek. Don’t stop here. Because I would constantly delete and remake a profile, I used a few different names. The last one that I used was song lyrics that I liked at the time. I was “LittleTalks” and it was one of my better ideas because it attracted people that liked the same music as me. Try thinking of a hobby or interest you like when coming up with a name.
- How to pick your profile photo
- Use current photos! Catfishing is real, folks. You can ask Nick about his story. Thankfully, it never happened to me.
- Don’t go overboard. Post one head shot, one body shot, and one with family/friends.
- Keep your clothes on ladies and gents if you’re looking for the real deal.
- What to say about yourself
- Don’t give everything away! This makes it easier to ask questions in messages so that you can get to know one another.
- Be honest! I remember rolling my eye’s at Nick’s profile when reading that he taught his grandma how to golf, funny story… he actually did!
- If you have a sense of humor, try to show it! If you’re serious, show it!
- If there are questions offered from the dating service, answer them. This is how their algorithms work in finding you the best matches.
- Who messages who first? Blah, I know. If you’re interested show it, but be a little creative in your first impression. If you can sense their sensor of humor and you’re attracted to that, compliment it. If they are a foodie, ask what their favorite place to eat in the city is.
- Don’t overthink it, just be yourself.
- This is the point where it’s okay to be picky! If you met everyone you messaged with, you’d be very busy.
- If you’re not interested at any point, let them know.
- If you’re interested after some messaging, get their information for one of their social media accounts if it makes you feel more comfortable. No, this isn’t creepy, they shouldn’t have anything to hide. Add them on Facebook, that way they can see you’re somewhat normal too.
- Are you still not sure about this whole online dating thing? I wasn’t either. Though I knew I was interested in Nick, the whole idea of meeting him was very intimidating. So I highly recommend Skype, Facetime, Google Hangout, whatever to see each other’s faces and talk for a bit. This makes the first meeting feel so much more normal.
- Don’t meet someone unless you are comfortable with it and genuinely want to meet them. This makes the whole experience way more fun!
- Be smart! Go to a public place and tell a friend what you’re doing, ya know, just in case… or have your sister stalk you on the Find my Friends app (Heather!).
- Grab a coffee or a cocktail. Don’t commit yourself to an entire meal or activity for the first time meeting. If cocktails lead into dinner, then perfect, things are going well!
- Happily ever after… or not… but maybe!
- Be patient, your dream man or women isn’t always online waiting for your profile. It’s like real life dating still, you’re just using a website to help introduce you to people. If it doesn’t work out for you, at least you tried!
Are you considering online dating, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet? Here are some other things you should know:
- Online dating can be like a second job. There’s a lot of people out there. If you’re serious about it, it can take a chunk of time to weed through the masses.
- Do you want to wait until you meet someone in person? Yea, I did too. But, just do me a favor and keep in mind that when you meet someone at a bar you know nothing about them. When you meet someone from online, you at least know something about them! It should be less intimidating.
- Try a free online dating website to see how you feel about it. There is no harm in canceling it.
- You are going to see someone you know on the site, maybe even an ex… and maybe even your ex’s best friend who will message you. That’s a true story. But, get over it, everyone wants to find their love!
I want to conclude and give a special thank you to OkCupid for allowing me to find the man of my dreams!
Have you had success with online dating or not so much? What advice would you share?