Hey, mama (or dada)!
Congrats on your bundle of joy and entering this crazy fun yet, exhausting world of parenthood. So you’re probably trying to prepare for the baby and it’s getting overwhelming trying to pick what gear to get. I’ve been there! Ultimately you will find out what works for you and your little one cause they truly are all so different. I’m sorry to share that, unfortunately, I don’t have all the answers for you. The great news is that you’ll know your baby the best before you know it, which is an amazing feeling.
I decided to go ahead and share my favorites items for the first six months when you’re pretty deep in the trenches and probably a little delirious. I’m here to tell you that there is nothing wrong with a little bit of 2 am Amazon Prime shopping after googling “how to make my baby sleep without me holding him”.
Disclaimer: I’m not including, diapers/wipes/bottles/stroller/car seat because like, of course, you need those things and just do your research! Do take my advice and get your belly to the store to test out strollers for your height and try lifting/putting back together. That’ll make your decision real quick!
Anyway, here were our essential baby item lifesavers…
- Gerber Soothe Probiotics… We swore on these drops when Henry began becoming super fussy and colicky. They helped him go #2 regularly which quickly becomes an exciting event as a parent I’ve learned, ha! Gas drops are what everyone tells you about, but our doc urged us to give these a try. She was right… worth their weight in gold for our family!
- The Shusher… This thing is actually kind of ridiculous but it works! Our photographer had it for Henry’s newborn photos and he was so chill during so we decided to get it for our fussy babe. It really helped him calmed down and saved us from having to say “shhh” a zillion times as he responded really well to that sound for calming. Save yourself the energy when you need it most and grab it here.
- Swaddle Me Swaddles… These were the best for our swaddle escape artist! I loved how easy they were to use for my hubby and I. Plus, Henry would sleep like a dream in them! Find them here.
- Fisher Price Kick piano… This little toy was so fun for our little guy. After we had him I saw that they now make these pianos attached to a play gym which I’d totally get if I had known they were available!
- The Sleepeasy Solution Book… I really enjoyed this book for sleeping tips and tricks because they truly helped and worked. Lucky for us, Henry has always been a good night time sleeper. Naps on the other hand… we have had our trying moments! He was very sensitive to getting overtired and would have some epic meltdowns. This book got us on back on track with watching his wake times to avoid those dreaded, loud meltdowns, ha!
- Cloud Island sleepers… These are the best little things to keep your babe in. The zipper on this brand is the best because they are inverted, plus they have built in mittens! There are so many adorable outfits out there but at the end of the day they aren’t comfy for your kiddo, they are a PIA to constantly take on and off for diaper changes… aaaaand there’s a good chance they will be covered in spit up by noon. So just buy the sleepers, all the sleepers, but especially these ones. Here ya go.
- Bouncer seat… Or I’m sure a swing would work too! Our pack n play came with a super simple bouncer vibrating seat that Henry would nap in a lot and give my arms a break! This pack n play was my favorite because of the changing station too. This whole set up was in our living room pretty much for a solid 6 or more months.
- Infant Optics Monitor… Henry straight up hated his bassinet. He would not sleep in it. Out of frustration one night we set him in his crib and he was so happily falling asleep. But wait, they recommend your babe sleep in the same room for the first 6 months ::gasp:: Oh well, we’re tired.. just invest in a nice monitor and you’ll all be sleeping better in no time.
Let me know if you have any questions about the products listed above. These ideas are truly my own and not sponsored in any way (though I wish). Of course, if you have questions about the standard gear, I’m happy to share our experience. Just let me know! Good luck and enjoy those baby snuggles!